One of our recent day trips started with a detour to a 40 acre field of sunflowers in NE Kansas, hence the photo of the Kansas sunflowers. Sunflowers..... evoke multiple images. Sunflowers (and like flowers such as daisies, black-eyed Susan's, etc,) were my Mother's favorite flowers because they are so SUNNY, unquenchable, "happy", and they follow the sun across the sky each day. Most important, they reminded her of her beloved Kansas. She lived much of her life in New Mexico and finally in Texas, but southeastern Kansas was her heart home always.
Although she left this earthly life a few years ago, her heart is in Kansas (and her gravesite).
As we moved to Kansas, I have been quite surprised to discover that I feel like I have come home as well. Much of the feeling is because I have retired and am in a new phase of life, I am very much at peace with not working, which is also somewhat of a surprise to me. Although only 3 months past my retirement date, we shall see what happens in the long term, but I strongly suspect that unless I need to return to work for monetary reasons, I will continue to enjoy the sunflowers or columbine or bluebonnets or plumeria, or the heather on the hill - wherever the Lord and this life takes me. My prayer is also that I, like the sunflowers, will follow the sun, and the Son, across the sky. Peace.
“Now that i am Old and Gray…” Psalm 71
2 days ago
1 comment:
Sunflowers are the happy flower and great feeder of birds. I've been watching hummingbirds in the backyard today. They must be migrating through. Hey, you've started getting into the fun stuff in blogging. Well, done. dp
Post a Comment