Spaghetti…baseball….Dussie…Stag Beer…hugs and giggles…the “Queenie” on the lake… Chicken Annie’s…laughter…Mike’s Fine Foods…shopping…. Golf… friends….a few drinks…. cuppa coffee… Merrill’s cookies…
Pee Wee –
A survivor…. Back in the 1960’s their only child was killed in a car wreck at age 15. Pee Wee was driving and was critically injured, they said she would never walk again. Their daughter was 4 years my senior and I thought she was the coolest, most beautiful wonderful person in my world. Her death was my first BIG loss. But that’s another story….
Pee Wee went home finally, in a wheel chair. They left their farmhouse and property and moved into “town” into a wheelchair friendly home that, at the time, was considered handicapped accessible. The old farmhouse was just that and Pee Wee – at slightly over 5 feet –a human dynamo of action, vivaciousness, enthusiasm with much more “spit and vinegar” than 99% of the population, went to work gaining her strength and body back. Against all odds, Louise DID walk again – with great pain. She told the doc as soon as she was able that she would be back to see him and would walk in….and she did.
Through the years, she began to play golf and resume almost all her activities often through incredible pain. Although she seldom complained, we could tell when she was really hurting, but she walked right through the pain. One time she really lit in to me when I was whining about how much my foot hurt, by telling me I had a choice – I could sit down and quit or I could get up and work through the pain. I was miffed at Pee Wee for being so "mean" to me. MUCH later – I realized that I learned a valuable lesson.
She and her husband were like grandparents to my own children and there are many warm memories of family times with them – shopping, golf, hot air balloon chasing….
Her beloved husband passed away over a year ago. I cannot fathom how lonely she is now. But she has quite a fan club and support group.
Her body is wearing out, she had to go off her pain medication and you can tell she is in terrible pain from arthritis and the remnants of old injuries. Her mind is sharp – probably sharper than mine most days! She jokes with everyone that comes in to see her and is determined to keep walking and doing for herself.
Those who treated her after the accident would never guess that she would live to inspire so many of us.
Pee Wee celebrated her 87th birthday last week. You go, girl!
Welcome to the Penguin's Ponderings
Mostly the meandering thoughts of a plain vanilla recently retired gal that likes to read, travel, and is establishing life now with new rules and a new environment with a trusty spouse that is a best friend as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment