Welcome to the Penguin's Ponderings

Mostly the meandering thoughts of a plain vanilla recently retired gal that likes to read, travel, and is establishing life now with new rules and a new environment with a trusty spouse that is a best friend as well.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Indulge Me

After some time with the grandkids, ages 3 and 5, life always seems considerably lighter. The two boys are (from a grandparent's perspective) absolutely hilarious - refreshing - affirming of the innocence of the young. Even when there are skirmishes, which are frequent and fervent, those little boys provide acute glimpses of behavior that reflect society's behavior. Although I laugh (usually inwardly in their presence), their antics and their words are often profound. We don't change much, but the issues become much more serious and sometimes scary.

So indulge me as I share the candor of the young

The 5 year old is helping to secure his 3 year old brother into the car seat..... and says, "Oh you look like a little angel." (a very unusual remark all by itself, as the dialog is often combative in nature)
The 3 year old scowls, " I AM NOT A LITTLE ANGEL."
Sequel - next day, grandmother arrives and says, "Hello my little angels."
3 year old, "Don't call me a little angel any more, Ma."
Grandmother smiles benignly, hugs him and says, " I'm your grandmother, I will call you whatever I want to."

(She is a really cool grandmother, called "Ma" by the boys)

Discussing the arrival of the new baby: The 3 year old says, "What do babies do?" Grandma says, " Well - they eat and sleep and cry, and when you were little you cried and cried and cried"... "and POOP, Grandma," interjects the 3 year old, "don't forget POOP, you gotta POOP, Grandma," Ahh the priorities of the little guys!

The 5 year old wishes for a Speed Racer as he blows out his birthday candles, Mama says, "You can wish for something big if you want, it's your birthday." Pause..... Mama: "What did you wish for?"
5 year old: "I wished for all my family and friends to know each other and love each other and get along."

5 year old to his aunt whom he has not seen for 18 months. "I love you. You are a different kind of special than when I was younger."

Papa to 3 year old in the pool, "Swim to me, shark boy." So the 3-year-old swims to Papa and bites him on the arm..... Careful what you say to that boy!

When he was almost 3, Grandma observes and overhears her grandson whacking a plastic Mr. Incredible figure on the TV table saying, "Mr. Incredible you are NOT making right choices." Hmmm - wonder where he heard that?


Enough of that for now, I'm sure I will add more.

2 comments:

Donna said...

Tooo funny! Do remember all boys talk 'poop' especially when there is someone younger to point the finger! Loved it, just loved it. dp

Toto said...

Thanks - our new neighbor is a young weatherman, Alex. On the other side of us are 4 boys.....
Alex and the little guys have become great friends - coming back from my walk one day, they were ALL outside - the 3 year old had to show me his bowl of roly poly bus and THEN he showed me the ROCKS - the 7 year old and 3 year old named rocks and Alex - ever the instigator - took his red Sharpie and wrote the names on the rocks. Taj and Tavin loved showing me the rocks---"I pooped" - "Poopoe cat" "Ilaid a turd" etc etc.