Welcome to the Penguin's Ponderings

Mostly the meandering thoughts of a plain vanilla recently retired gal that likes to read, travel, and is establishing life now with new rules and a new environment with a trusty spouse that is a best friend as well.

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Sports and stuff

06 April 08 Our son-in-law's 30th birthday today. Wow - times flies when you're havin' fun, we called with our traditional "happy birthday" song - goofy as it is, that is a tradition that my parents began that still makes me all warm and fuzzy.... sentimental fool I indeed am.
One of our first weekends in our cozy (are you sure??) 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom (now THERE'S the issue) apartment - we have managed to be gone most weekends and will continue that tradition until we are in our new digs in Jayhawk country.

Birthdays are just fun for me - everyone's birthday, but I have learned that not everyone has pleasant memories of birthdays - so, for one friend - I have come to respect that - she gets a generic funny card that does NOT mention to Bday word.

Now the family is on board with my insistence on festivities - having grandchildren helped THAT cause because they are still young enough to be ALL about the celebration and of course the GIFTS and the CAKE!!

KU Jayhawks are in the Championship game against Memphis tomorrow (Monday) night - how sweet it is. Here's hoping they win that ONE last game. My Mom is a happy little angel about now. She loved her sports - Cardinals baseball, KU Jayhawks and UNM Lobo basketball AND football, and she passed the torch to me - the frenzied sports fan of the family - although I have added to the list my own favorites (Denver Broncos, NM Aggies, TX A&M, Tennessee Lady Vols, Colorado Buffs, Pitt State (KS) Gorillas, KC Royals, etc.... I view it as an emotional catharsis - that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

No comments: