I will not do this little slice of life justice - but here goes....
There were four of us on the airport shuttle. Me, two businessmen, and a fellow in the front seat that I could not see. He was wearing a baseball cap and a gray T-shirt.
Businesssuit was sitting next to me and Grayhair was sitting directly in front of me. Grayhair asked the "group" if any of us knew whether nail clippers were allowed on an airplane these days. Businesssuit replied, "I'm not sure but I think small ones are allowed now, although a friend of mine had the nail clipper part broken off and then they let him on the plane."
I said I was not sure.
Grayhair mused, "Well, I guess I will try it."
No word from the front seat.
Businesssuit, "It's hard to keep up with the rules."
And then from the front seat, a digitized male voice spoke finally, "If-you-show-them-the-clippers-they-should-be-allowed."
My head shot forward and I grinned...vocal output device at work in the environment - awesome for a speech pathologist to encounter!
Grayhair and Buisinesssuit - in unison- said, "What??"
I repeated what the digitized voice said and added to Frontseat, "Is that correct?"
Frontseat turned partially and grinned, waved a very cerebral palsied hand and voice said, "That- is-right!"
Grayhair recovered and said, "Thanks very much."
Talk ensued about various airline regs and some crazy stories with all 3 men participating. Grayhair and Businesssuit included and commented on Frontseat's short comments. Finally the conversation turned to a confrontation between a flight attendant and a female dressed in compromising clothes (whatever that means). Grayhair said the airline received several critical emails about the incident and several men offered to sit next to the gal in question (surprise!) Businesssuit laughed and said he would probably sit next to her, and then Frontseat voice came, "I would sit by her too." We all laughed.
Businesssuit told Frontseat it was good to talk with him, wished him a good trip and said, "Man technology is really great now!" Grayhair nodded and thanked Frontseat profusely for his suggestion about the clippers. Frontseat grinned and took his backpack as he left for the gate.
WOW! I was left with the warmest glow - witnessing the conversational exchange between 3 men, accepting and willing to view each for their worth.
Welcome to the Penguin's Ponderings
Mostly the meandering thoughts of a plain vanilla recently retired gal that likes to read, travel, and is establishing life now with new rules and a new environment with a trusty spouse that is a best friend as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Isn't that great! What is even greater is that we've honestly been a part of making that moment happen, not once but many times over. We are a part of history making. Not everyone knows that but we very proudly do. Thanks for sharing that! It is awesome! dp
Post a Comment