Welcome to the Penguin's Ponderings

Mostly the meandering thoughts of a plain vanilla recently retired gal that likes to read, travel, and is establishing life now with new rules and a new environment with a trusty spouse that is a best friend as well.

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter bunnies and the empty cross

It always interests me to note how we celebrate the resurrection of our Lord Jesus intermingled with the Easter Bunny and fertility rites of spring. Even as I observe AND participate, it is with tongue-in-cheek so to speak. Easter eggs, lent, fat Tuesday, the Lord on a cross, Easter chicks, marshmallow peeps, plastic eggs, hot cross buns, Easter bonnets, an empty cross, Easter lilies that usually have rebirth significance.....
One of my first vague and somewhat suppressed memories was receiving an adorable little yellow chick when I was about 3 years old. I hugged it and squeezed it with such precious joy that I smothered it and killed it. Well, maybe that explains some of my demented outlook. Although I attempted to suppress that grim memory as my joy and wonder became horror at what I had done, my parents loved to tell the story. That IS one of the worst items that I had to forgive my parents for, so I fared quite well in the "get over your parents" department.

I view Easter with great joy and expectancy even while a part of me looks down at myself and shakes a bemused head at the mixture of pagan, decadent candy pursuit and a true wondrous faith at a Lord that loved us enough to make the ultimate sacrifice for our selfish choices so that we can live in relationship with our Lord, our Papa (read The Shack), our Abba Daddy.

My earnest prayer is that I would be better able to share my faith, especially with my immediate family and that my relationship with the Lord will be something I can share with my family. The Sonrise-sunrise service we attended today in a private home on a cloudy morning was a special worship time. Connecting and worshipping with people of faith always affirms that the Lord intends for relationship to be the primary focus. Blessings.

No comments: