Welcome to the Penguin's Ponderings

Mostly the meandering thoughts of a plain vanilla recently retired gal that likes to read, travel, and is establishing life now with new rules and a new environment with a trusty spouse that is a best friend as well.

Friday, January 2, 2009

When did this happen?

Christmas and Thanksgiving have passed and as I fixed Christmas dinner, I ask the age old (OLD being the operative word), When did I become the oldest of our little family? Those Family Circus cartoons of the black-line "ghost" or spirit drawings (my grandmother's favorite comics) burn across my cerebral matter. I am washing and preparing the turkey and my Mother is at my shoulder guiding my hands and telling me how to fix the turkey legs and removed the neck and giblets. My Granny is making the pie as I stir the pumpkin pie mixture and pour it into the pie shells. My Grandma Heatherly stands beside me as I fix applesauce and a relish plate.
Where are those wonderful ladies? They are always a part of my holiday although they are long gone to a better life. I am here, thankfully, among my loving family and friends seeing those ladies of years gone by at my elbow guiding me and filling me with memories and love as I, now the oldest generation of my family, fix Christmas dinner for my adult children.
Still seems like it should be my grandmothers or my mother who are responsible for this dinner.

The kids love to punch the button on the reindeer stocking (that belonged to my parents) which sets off "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer." My Mother always acted like she was offended by that and I still first think of her when I hear the Reindeer stocking blaring that music. Except now, I am Grandma!!

And that is as it should be - grateful for a bounty of warm fuzzy memories with grandparents, parents, and now memories with our own children and grandchildren.

No comments: