Welcome to the Penguin's Ponderings

Mostly the meandering thoughts of a plain vanilla recently retired gal that likes to read, travel, and is establishing life now with new rules and a new environment with a trusty spouse that is a best friend as well.

Monday, December 22, 2008

HMMMMM

Six months of retirement. I truly believed that I would be ready to either go back to work (part time) or be volunteering for way too many things. That is what I get for "thinking" - I find that I remain quite content to putter. However, a nudge here and there indicates that I will need to add some structure to my life in the near future. Two very dear friends in different parts of the country advised me to take a year "off" before I decided to plunge into commitments. Good advice! Practically moving to a different state AND doing some traveling has made that advice easy to heed.

This week brought my first twinge of life reflection. After receiving my professional publication, and knowing 90% of the people that remain integrally involved in the profession through our state organization, I found myself pondering my role in life. I am definitely young enough (many of those state officers are older than I) to contribute a great deal to my profession. Sitting smugly by and patting myself on the back for over 33 years of dedicated service, while toasting myself into a "deserved" retirement, seems at best self-serving or just plain selfish.

Although NOT losing any sleep, the thoughts of the direction of my life will meander in a slightly different direction. My cousin quoted a lesson that he learned from his father. Paraphrased, we can never stay the same in our life, we either move forward in growth or we slide backward into old destructive habits or into misery. Carpe Diem

No comments: