Welcome to the Penguin's Ponderings

Mostly the meandering thoughts of a plain vanilla recently retired gal that likes to read, travel, and is establishing life now with new rules and a new environment with a trusty spouse that is a best friend as well.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Women of Influence

This past Sunday morning was "Women's Sunday" at worship and 3 ladies spoke about women that have influenced their lives. Of course, that lead to my own reflection of women of influence in my own life journey. Thankfully I have many women that have been shining examples for me in my personal life and in my work and to choose a few to highlight is a rather daunting task.

As I grew up, my Mother and both of my grandmother's taught me many of life's lessons by their actions, and their teachings. All were strong women that had strong opinions, high character, and high expectations of me. My Mother and Grandma were both women of faith and it was important to them that I learn of God and His love for us and the gift of His son, Jesus. I learned that charity does begin at home and helping others, being kind to others helps us grow in wisdom and stature and favor with God and mankind. I spent many hours in my Grandma's shadow as she cooked and cleaned and went to Bible study and her ladies' club and cared for family. Her example of living her faith and of her quiet strength speaks to me today. And from each of those women I also learned inadvertant lessons, such as learning not to worry so much about things I cannot control.

As an older adult now, I realize that another influence in my life is my own daughter. Although there are things we do not agree on and parts of life that I pray she will some day embrace, I also know that she has taught me through her own strength and tenacity. She is a caring, hard working lady that strives to do her best and strives to look for the best in people, but also understands that not everyone is trustworthy, nor does everyone work hard and live well to help others. One of her greatest gifts to me is her ability to call "a spade a spade" and move on with life. I am amazed at her life insight - I suppose I should not be so amazed, but it is humbling to hear wisdom from my own child.

And so many other women of influence that taught me so much of life - my first "boss" who became a dear friend; one of my first school prinicpal's who reinforced the priority of family first; several dear friends and also colleagues who put up with my faults and love me in spite of them - living examples of Christ's love for us.

Thanks to all those women in my past, present, and future who love me, like me, help keep me on track, remembering that life is not really about me, but about relationships and loving, enjoying, and helping others.

And there are men of influence as well, but that is another story.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Wow, Heather! You did a beautiful job honoring the women that have had an influence on you. It is nice to see that you and Mike have had that positive influence in Kristin and she's added her own compliments to them. Luf ya, dp