Welcome to the Penguin's Ponderings

Mostly the meandering thoughts of a plain vanilla recently retired gal that likes to read, travel, and is establishing life now with new rules and a new environment with a trusty spouse that is a best friend as well.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Birthdays

Today marks the birthday of my husband of nearly 37 years, my partner, my best friend. Now that both our parents are gone and many family members are gone, I know I look at Mike as my family. Although we have dear children that are wonderful to us and whom we enjoy so very much, they have their own lives, and so more and more we rely on each other. I have to think that we have many good years left together, but if that is not the case, it is my hope that our memories and what we have learned from each other will carry us forward, as well as reliance on God.
I need other contacts as well, a faith family, dear female friends, good friends that are couples, and dear extended family members. My husband is more of the hermit type and does not seek out people as much, although he is very easy to be around and enjoys contact with people.
As these birth anniversaries come and go, I am more aware of the deep influence of our relationship and its importance. At times a bit scrappy, we learn from those encounters as well - scrappy arrives when the two of us, now retired, have our own differing opinions about how things are done or what we should do - and we are both very strong-willed.
Continuing to laugh and to remember not to take ourselves too seriously is excellent medicine for a close relationship as well!
As we age, the comic strip Pickles seems to describe life with humor and tongue-in-cheek. I thank God for my husband, for God's love, for humor and for so many more blessings I could not list them all.

No comments: