Pondering the evolution, or not so much, of my sports mania. Watching college basketball, or college or NFL football or other events gives me the cathartic cleansing of emotion and aggression. Passion and enthusiasm for MY TEAMS is fun for me, but there has been a gradual evolution through the years.
My earliest memory is my delight with the Kansas Jayhawk basketball team and St Louis Cardinal Baseball. A cousin once said, "If we were not Cardinal fans, we would get kicked out of the family."
Soon I added the Pittsburg (Kansas) State Gorillas because my cousin's boyfriend - and now husband - played football there.
Tucumcari Rattlers, Clovis Wildcats, Del Norte Knights - all football teams I cheered on to winning.
College at New Mexico State University - cheered for the Aggies.... and sometimes for the UNM Lobos and Jayhawks. My Mother loved to follow the Cardinals and the Lobos.
Moving to Denver, I became a Broncos fan in the mid 1970s and am a Bronco fanatic to this day. We also adopted the CU Buffaloes just a little bit.
My first dislike was the Dallas arrogant, obnoxious Cowboys, and I loved to hate them.
Farmington High Scorpions, Connie Mack baseball teams - the Broncos and Cardinals STILL!
My own kiddos grew up and our son went to Texas A&M, so I added the Texas Aggies! then our daughter moved to Lawrence, KS and became a Jayhawk - HOT damn, my first passion!!! And I am a much more avid Jayhawk fan than our daughter.
Women's basketball - Jayhawks, of course and Tennessee and others that emerge from time to time
Our son, on the other hand, married a Cowboy fan family - oh dear!! Keeping peace in the family. So I have gradually evolved into accepting the Cowboys and can even now not feel PAIN when my grandchildren are clad in Cowboy apparel.
So NOW I can continue to hate UT - Texas Longhorns - my angst lives against Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas and K-State IF they are playing the Jayhawks.
Now that we live in Jayhawk land, we also have a cousin that coaches for the Ottawa Univeristy Braves - so I add the Braves to my list of LIKES!
All in all - fun release - although sometimes I get emotional enough that it may not be fun at that moment.
Go TEAMS!! rock chalk - gig'em New Mexico Aggies AND Texas Aggies- go Lobos - go Braves and and and
Welcome to the Penguin's Ponderings
Mostly the meandering thoughts of a plain vanilla recently retired gal that likes to read, travel, and is establishing life now with new rules and a new environment with a trusty spouse that is a best friend as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I do still remember that I (the coach's wife) was going to be mortified at an AAC workshop that you had smuggled in a TV to watch the Broncos play. OMG!
Yep Max and I did that! You were trying to laugh, but I knew you were "mortified"
Post a Comment