One of my current favorite songs is "Take Me Home" as performed by Celtic Thunder. It makes me stop to think, "Where is my home?" I have recently moved to a town where I know very few people and I have lived several places during my life. I am an "only" child, my parents have passed away - where is home?
Although trite, my home IS where my heart is.
I have few physical roots and my family and best friends are scattered, I do live with my best friend and mate of almost 37 years. We chose this town because our daughter lives here and because we both really like the town. Extended family is close by and I feel like I am "home" in this new place. Living in this age of technology and easier travel makes feeling close to dear friends and family a possible achievement. Home is feeling loved, letting others know I love them - keeping in touch, being near as often as possible.
There are a few places that feel like home - Eastern Kansas, where I now live and where I spent the first 8 years of my life; central New Mexico, where I spent my later school years, are the two that come to mind. Special places that I spent time with my parents - with Mike and with our family - all of these places and people make a piece of my home.
Welcome to the Penguin's Ponderings
Mostly the meandering thoughts of a plain vanilla recently retired gal that likes to read, travel, and is establishing life now with new rules and a new environment with a trusty spouse that is a best friend as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment