Welcome to the Penguin's Ponderings

Mostly the meandering thoughts of a plain vanilla recently retired gal that likes to read, travel, and is establishing life now with new rules and a new environment with a trusty spouse that is a best friend as well.

Sunday, May 24, 2009

A Year Later

May 22 was the first "anniversary" of my retirement reception. The dates brings back a mutitude of warm fuzzy memories and I have an incredible scrapbook done by staff and friends and assembled with countless hours of labor by 5 or 6 of those friends.
The most humbling aspect of my reflection is the labor of love that so many friends and colleagues willingly and cheerfully gave of their time through the reception, the surprises, the gifts and the scrapbook. I came away in retirement with the affirmation that I had contributed something to the schools and to my profession, and that I have learned more from children and staff and friends than I contributed.
Thanks to all who participated in the years and years of my career, beginning in Brighton, Colorado, continuing in Farmington, New Mexico and ending in Amarillo, Texas. It was a gratifying, humbling, amazing ride.

How quickly I have moved into a retirement lifestyle. It has surprised me how content I am and how much I enjoy doing not much. I suspect that I could never go back to "work" and not regret it a bit. There are aspects that need to get organized in my life and I need to choose some activities to keep productive. For now moving and adjusting and getting ready to move to a permanent (well, as permanent as anything ever is) home is sufficient.

I thank the Lord for my many blessings and for the 33 years of work and for this last year of peaceful retirement. And ask forgiveness for my ever-present impatience and ability to "troll" through the day.

No comments: